Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Final two bowl games

Let's wrap this up. It might sound crazy after watching 39 bowl games that I often feel a bit melancholic that the games are over but not this year.  Adios bowl season, take your Cheez-It and Red Box bowls with you.



Rose Bowl - Ohio State vs. Washington

The PAC 12 was pretty lousy this year and I thought this would be a blow out considering it was Urban Meyer's last game with the Buckeyes.

I watched most of the game although to say I was paying close attention would be a lie. Ohio State had a 28-3 lead before the Huskies woke up, scoring points in the 4th quarter.  A case of too little too late.

Congrats to Meyer and Ohio State for representing the Big 10 well and taking the trophy.  I think Urb stays retired and will only come out of retirement for one job, Notre Dame. Irish fans will grow tired of Brian Kelly soon and Urban will come back one more time to try and wake the echoes.

Ohio State 28  Washington 23

What Did I Eat:  Dinner - pork roast and sauerkraut (good luck food), mashed potatoes, salad.  Mrs. Keith always kick butt at New Year's dinner.

Bowl Swag:  Gift suite, commemorative Fossil watch, Ogio backpack, New Era 9Fifty snap back hat.

My Pick:  Ohio State, finally got one right on New Year's Day.

Sugar Bowl - Georgia vs. Texas

After taking in four games and six the day before, I had little steam left for watching any of this one. After some genius decided to have Texas mascot Bevo meet Georgia mascot UGA and Bevo attacked the bulldog, I knew bowl season needed to end.  And Bevo's attack on UGA was a precursor of things to come in this game.

I watched the first half and called it a night.  Texas had all the energy while Georgia felt like it should have been in the playoff.  20-7 at half time, good night. Georgia did make a game of it in the fourth quarter but just like Washington, TLTL.

Texas 28  Georgia 20

What Did I Eat:  Still more Christmas cookies.  Son No. 2 made a lot.

Bowl Swag:  Gift suite, Fossil watch, New Era cap, Rock 'Em socks, cuff links.  Cuff links, another gift headed to an older male relative just like the Texas Bowl cowboy hat.

My Pick:  Georgia. My record falls to 22-17, terrible. But hey, at least Bevo posted bail and had a great night on Bourbon Street.







No comments:

Post a Comment