Tuesday, January 1, 2019

New Year's Day, Pt. 1

Three early games, bunched together.  I had to get out of the house after being cooped up during a rainy Monday.  It was time for some record swapping, took some albums to  Everybody's Records in Pleasant Ridge, hung out for about an hour with the store to myself, and bought a couple. Next door to Everybody's is my favorite tavern in town, The Gas Light Cafe.

Outback Bowl - Iowa vs. Mississippi State

I caught the first quarter at the Gas Light, with the best burger in Cincinnati and a couple of Founders Ales. I thought about actually going to an Outback but why would I when this was right in front of me. The last time I went to an Outback was about 17 years ago.


I watched the first quarter at the bar next to a guy who wanted to watch the NHL Winter Classic which had not started and another who wanted to bitch about "the news" but no one was having any of it.  The staff at the Gaslight is very friendly and the woman tending bar told him in the nicest way to shut up.

Iowa won, with -14 yards rushing.  It's been that kind of bowl season. They also had zero penalties, that helps.  Say what you will about Kirk Ferentz but he runs a disciplined team.

Iowa 27  Mississippi State 22

What Did I Eat:  You can actually see a picture of it just above except I had fries instead of chips.  The friendly bartender upsold me over chips.

What You Can Eat:  A free order of coconut shrimp per table thanks to the Iowa victory. But only on January 2nd. Coconut shrimp kind of sucks.  I like shrimp, I like coconut, I'm not a big fan of them together.

Bowl Swag:  Fossil watch, Jostens ring, $125 Best Buy gift card, Outback Steakhouse gift card. This may be the only bowl game besides the championship where a player gets a ring.

My Pick:  Mississippi State.  Hat tip to Bowlquest reader Bobby Hansen who told me I was wrong.

Fiesta Bowl - Central Florida vs. LSU

After the best meal I've had since Christmas Eve, I got home to watch a quarter of this one.  UCF jumped out to the early lead and was acting like mid 90's Miami, lots of swagger.  LSU fixed that although it never got out of hand.

No self proclaimed championship this year for the Knights. I did like their moxie to just proclaim themselves champs last year and then the University and city of Orlando went along with it and threw them a parade.

LSU 40  UCF 32

What Did I Eat:  Nothing

Bowl Swag:  PS4 gift package including a PS4 console, controller and games, Fossil watch with engraved caseback, Ogio X-fit backpack.

I had the original Sony Playstation.



I played a lot of Crash Bandicoot and Final Fantasy VII. The console is evidently in a box in our basement.

My Pick:  UCF - pretty dumb considering the Knights starting quarterback was out.

Citrus Bowl - Penn State vs. Kentucky

Once I finished my quarter of the Fiesta Bowl I moved to this game and stuck with it. This is a candidate for best game of bowl season.  Enough scoring, enough defense, some star players, went down to the end, about all you can ask from a bowl game.

Kentucky's Benny Snell ran for 144 yards and two touchdowns while Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley played some of the game on an alleged broken foot, throwing for two touchdowns. and running for 75 yards  That was the most for running yards for any Lions player, they really miss Barkley in Happy Valley.

This is why I watch bowl games, in hopes to get one like this.  By the way, VRBO stands for Vacation Rentals By Owners, had to look that up.  These games have lost some serious sponsor luster. A county credit union can now sponsor a mid tier game.

Kentucky 27  Penn State 24

What Did I Eat:  Some Archer Farms snack mix, that crap just won't go away, also a martini. Happy New Year.

Bowl Swag:  $400 Best Buy gift card, Fossil watch, Ogio backpack with luggage tag.  Luggage tag, very nice.

My Pick:  In keeping with the theme of the day, Penn State.

Two more to go and the quest is all but done.

3 comments:

  1. Don't knock the San Diego County Credit Union--it's the 11th largest in the country with $6.5 billion in assets and 264,000 members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, credit union guy. I still don't understand sponsoring bowl games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would imagine they do it to keep the game alive.

    ReplyDelete