Friday, December 21, 2018

Bahamas Bowl/Potato Bowl

A Friday two-fer, one from balmy Nassau and the other from a not so balmy Boise. I had some other things on the agenda today, but plenty of time to waste on watching these games.

Toledo vs. Florida International 

Today was our annual Man Day, where father and sons go out for some sort of activity and lunch.  We used to include shopping but most of our packages arrive now thanks to Amazon.

We decided to get an early start and go to Top Golf where it was evidently company holiday party outing day. The place was packed at 10am. We got our bay after a 30 minute wait and hacked away.



We wore sports Christmas sweaters, you can likely guess what is on mine.  I feel bad for Son No. 2 who is 6'8" and looks like he doesn't know how to bend his back.  Son No. 1 crushed some to the back fence for big points but Dad's accuracy won two of the three matches.  And as my reward for winning I got to pay for Top Golf and lunch at Chuy'.s. We used to go to Jeff Ruby's but $200 lunches are not in the budget while paying tuition.

While at Chuy's, the Bahamas Bowl came on and it looked like a blow out, Toledo scored right out of the gate after FIU fumbled the kickoff. This one could be a rout.  Then we left and I had to do some shopping for Christmas at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield. Friday before Christmas means the Jungle is packed.  I needed to get a standing rib roast, wine and bought some other stuff that Mrs. Keith didn't ask for and felt the need to lecture me about when I got home. Evidently the asparagus at Kroger is half the price. She also wanted to know why I won't do a couples work out with her at Planet Fitness.  I love burning vacation days at home.

I did catch the entire second half of the game.  It wasn't a rout, FIU handled their business but the game got janky at the end.  The Rockets scored with two seconds remaining in the game on a 43-yard touchdown pass. Toledo kicked the extra point and screwed bettors who took the opening line under of 66 points.

FIU 35  Toledo 32

What Did I Eat:  Mama's Enchiladas at Chuy's

Bowl Swag:  Gift suite, Yeti rambler, string backpack, towel, pin.  These guys got a free trip to the Bahamas, screw the swag.

Notable Alumni:  FIU, Andy Garcia, who was born with a conjoined twin.  I used to play Andy Garcia's conjoined twin trapped under his jacket when I did morning radio. It was funny, take my word for it. Toledo, Jamie Farr, who did not have a conjoined twin. Klinger!

FIU 35  Toledo 32

My Pick:  Toledo.  I'm now 6-3.  I messed up the Gasparilla pick thinking I took Marshall.

Western Michigan vs. Brigham Young

While I love sports in the middle of the afternoon as much as any derelict gambler, this one didn't hold much interest for me.

I watched the first quarter and then took a snooze in the second.  Probably those enchiladas from Chuy's kicking in.

Hey, it's the second greatest bowl mascot, Spuddy Buddy, driving to the game with Idaho Potato Council President Frank Muir.


For my money, King Obie from the Orange Bowl is the greatest bowl game mascot.

Western Michigan was up 10-7 on BYU at half and then someone flipped the switch on the Cougars and they scored 42 points in the second half. BYU's quarterback Zach Wilson finished 18 for 18 passing with four touchdowns. With a big lead, the Cougars brought in backup quarterback Tanner Mangum who is 34 years old, give or take a year.  There is always some really old QB at BYU because of mission trips.

Hoist those potatoes BYU.


What Did I Eat:  A little bit of Archer Farms snack mix with some Wild Turkey. TGIF!

Bowl Swag:  Gift suite, Oakley backpack, hydroflask, beanie. The hydroflask is a name brand water container that is powder coated so you don't lose your grip on your precious hydration. The 16 ounce model will set you back $25.  I'm old enough to remember a time without water bottles of any kind.  We used to drink from water fountains, paper cups and the hose. When did we become so water vessel dependent?

BYU 49  Western Michigan 18

My pick:  BYU, record now at 7-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment