Sunday, December 23, 2018

Saturday Streak

Four games for the day, starting at noon and going until 2am. That seems excessive or maybe most people don't watch all these games in a row.
Birmingham Bowl - Wake Forest vs. Memphis

Our first power five conference team in a bowl game.  Wake beat Duke 59-7 to wrap up their regular season and stumble into a bowl game.  Memphis lost again to UCF in the AAC championship game to find their way to beautiful Birmingham.

I watched all of this one, and it was the best game of the day.  Wake struck first, Memphis went for 28 then the Deacons were back for the next 23.  The last 1:15 of the game saw two scores with Memphis lined up to kick the game tying field goal.  One false start penalty later and wide right, Wake wins. Fun game.


No idea what was going on here.

Wake Forest 37  Memphis 34

What Did I Eat:  Nothing

Bowl Swag:  Gift suite, Oakley backpack or sunglasses, cooling hoodie, football.  Backpack or sunglasses, so many choices.

My Pick:  Wake Forest.  I switched from Memphis right before the game.  Good call.


Straight from Birmingham to Fort Worth for the next game.

Armed Forces Bowl - Army vs. Houston

Actual armed forces in the Armed Forces Bowl.  Houston came limping into this game without their best player Ed Oliver, who is preparing for the draft, and their starting quarterback, who was hurt.

Houston looked like they would rather have been anywhere else. I watched the first half as we were getting ready for a holiday get together at the house. Army ran all over the Cougars and we turned it off at half.

Army 70  Houston 17 - the 70 points are an FBS bowl game record.

What Did I Eat:  A few little nibbles of the food we were putting out. Chips, dips, what have you.

Bowl Swag:  Gift suite, Bluetooth speaker helmet, football.  The speaker helmet sounds pretty cool.

My pick:  Army, that one was easy.

Dollar General Bowl - Buffalo vs. Troy

Being the gracious host, I didn't force this game on anyone during the holiday festivities.  I picked it up in the second half once things wound down.  It was a game that was on TV is all I can say.

Troy 42  Buffalo 32

What Did I Eat:  A piece of delicious fruit tart from Servatii's bakery.

My Pick:  Troy
Hawaii Bowl - Hawaii vs. Louisiana Tech

I had little left in the tank for this game.  I believed I watched all of the first quarter but Son No. 2 was also watching with me so if I dozed off he was there for Bowlquest rule 2.  Louisiana Tech took a 3-0 lead in the first quarter when I called it a night.  Hawaii didn't make much of the home game.

La. Tech 31  Hawaii 14

What Did I Eat:  Nothing.  I didn't eat much all day. Every day of Bowlquest is not some queso and spice filled fiesta.

Bowl Swag:  Electronics gift suite, Oakley Backpack, Oakley Sunglasses, Tori Richard aloha shirt, shorts/swim trunks, performance t-shirt, beach towel.  The Louisiana Tech players also got a free trip to Hawaii.  The Rainbow Warriors got a 15 minute bus ride from campus.

My Pick:  Hawaii, thought the home field advantage would be the difference.  Nope.  Still 3-1 for the day and a 10-4 record overall.

Three days off from bowl games, picking up with three on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment